The New York School Bus Contractors Association is an organization comprising of more than one hundred school transportation service companies with the primary mission of promoting safe, reliable and cost-effective student transportation in New York State.
This Week's Industry Highlights & Reminders
- Newly Released (May 6th) Guidelines for the Coronavirus Economic Relief for Transportation Services (CERTS) Grant Program
- New York Clean Transportation Prizes Program
The New York Clean Transportation Prizes program will electrify transportation, reduce air pollution, and enhance clean mobility in disadvantaged communities in New York State. The competitions will each run in two phases. In the first phase, participants must register by July 22, 2021, to be eligible to submit proposals.
The three prize competitions are:
- Clean Neighborhoods Challenge – up to three $10 million grand prizes will be awarded to innovative projects that address local air pollution reduction at scale in disadvantaged communities. The submission deadline is August 24, 2021.
- Electric Mobility Challenge – up to three $7 million grand prizes will be awarded to projects that demonstrate innovative safe and convenient electric mobility options that help solve disadvantaged community transportation needs. The submission deadline is August 25, 2021.
- Electric Truck & Bus Challenge – up to three $8 million grand prizes will be awarded to projects that demonstrate electrified solutions to the deployment of medium- and heavy-duty electric vehicles or their replacement through other electrified transportation modes. The submission deadline is August 26, 2021
- Notes from Governor Cuomo's COVID-19 Briefing from Wednesday, May 5th
- Education Law Changes in the 2021-22 Enacted State Budget Governing Eligibility of Certain COVID Transportation Expenditures for State Transportation Aid
- FMCSA's ELDT Training Providers Toolkit
This page includes several resources in a box to the right to include the: e-Learning Training Providers Guide to ELDT, factsheet, countdown checklist, curricula summary, training overview and a March 4 webinar for training providers.
- BraunAbility Commercial Lift Training available May 12th and June 16th
- Notes from Governor Cuomo's COVID-19 Briefing from Monday, May 3rd
Extension of Deadline for Requests for Transportation to Nonpublic and Charter Schools
Pursuant to Executive Order(s) issued by the Governor for the COVID-19 crisis, the Governor has extended through May 27, 2021, Section 3635 of the Education law, the deadline for parents to file transportation requests with their school district in order to obtain transportation for their children for the 2020-2021 and the 2021-2022 school year.
- NYSDOT is extending the Executive Order regarding expired school bus inspections until May 31, 2021
- FMCSA Delays Medical Examiners Certification Integration Provisions to June 2025
Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA) has issued the attached interim final rule delaying several provisions of the Medical Examiner’s Certification Integration final rule that were to go into effect as of June 22, 2021 to June 22, 2025. FMCSA has said the delay is to allow sufficient time for IT changes and upgrades to the national registry.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issues three reports: Two of which review the usage of seat belts and the third examines the implementation of Stop Arm Cameras and their effect on illegal passing of stopped school buses:
- 2021 NYS School Bus Safety Competition is cancelled. Next Competition being held May 21, 2022 at Rockland Lake State Park.
- Looking for last week's news? It has been moved to our NEWS section.
- School Bus Fast Facts!